Do you Speed Clean Your Home? If not, I am going to let you in on a little secret. I regularly speed clean. Why? Because it is the perfect way to help me feel accomplished in a short amount of time. For some of us that feeling is important. Especially as a work at home mom. So, check out my secret tips and learn how and why you should be speed cleaning too!
How To Speed Clean Your Home
Keep in mind, I still suggest you take the time to do a monthly deep clean of your home. The thing is, let’s say you’ve got company coming over and need to cover the basics. That is where speed cleaning is a must. I learned a long time ago that a good speed clean of your house can be useful for last minute guests as well as just making you feel like you have accomplished something for the day. Let’s get started with my tips!
Entryway & Living Room- The first thing people notice when they enter your home is the way it smells. You may have experienced this yourself. It doesn’t matter how beautiful a person’s home is if it smells like a litter box, are you not completely distracted?! Likewise, you might overlook quite a bit if a person’s home smells lemony fresh. Be sure to diffuse your essential oils in one of the first spots your guest will visit. This is a must, but so are the other things below.
- Dust the obvious surfaces (save the highest, unseen spots for your deep cleaning days),
- Vacuum and get rid of any pet hair on the furniture
- Hide your clutter. There shouldn’t be any piles of paperwork in either of these areas of your home. Confine it to the office (if you don’t have time to sort, shred, and recycle) where at least it will make sense.
- Toss any shoes, coats or handbags in the closet or laundry room.
- Fluff the pillows and fold and throw blankets you may have out.
- A light spray of Febreeze over your furniture can also freshen the room if needed. This is especially handy if you have pets.
Kitchen– This is a big place for guests to occupy while in your home. Many people find that hanging out in the kitchen while you cook is a great way to relax and visit. If this is the case, then you definitely want to speed clean this area with some of the tips below.
- Wipe down countertops, the stove, the sink, the outside of the fridge and cabinet faces with disinfectant wipes. Both traditional and eco-friendly brands make these wipes. They’re so convenient to use, there’s no reason not to have a clean kitchen!
- Shine up the faucet with glass cleaner and make sure to wipe out the sink. Wash dishes if there are any, or at least load the dishwasher so they are out of site.
- Polish up the dining room table.
- Take out the trash.
- If you have a pantry or cabinets with space, remove unused kitchen appliances from the counter tops. The less clutter, the better.
- Put out fresh towels and a clean washcloth or sponge at the sink.
Bedrooms- This is one area of the speed clean list that is for you and nobody else. Having a tidy bedroom goes a long way toward making you easily relax at bedtime. It also makes you feel like you really accomplished something on a busy day.
- Make your bed! The fastest way to make a bedroom look put-together is to buy a matching bedding set, complete with a dust ruffle (perfect for hiding under-the-bed storage containers).
- Dust, vacuum, hide any baskets of unfolded laundry (clean or dirty) and hide any extra clutter until you have more time to sort, organize and donate it. No one’s going to be looking in your closets. Remember, the less you have, the less you’ll find yourself in this predicament! Surfaces that are free of junk and knick-knacks are not only easier to clean, but more visually appealing.
Bathrooms– As with the kitchen, the bathroom is going to be frequently visited if you have guests. If you are speed cleaning for yourself, you probably already know how nice it is to have a fresh bathroom.
- Use disinfectant wipes on everything. Light switches, door handles, countertops, towel racks, and any surface you see.
- Use glass cleaner to shine up the faucets and glass.
- Clean your toilet. The one area you really can’t “speed clean” is your toilet. You need to clean that baby inside and out, but if you purchase tablets for your tank to clean the interior with every flush, you can skip the bowl.
- If you don’t have time to clean the tub/shower, make sure to close the curtain, and make sure the curtain in clean.
- Take out the trash.
- Hide excess products underneath the counter.
- Sweep and use a Swiffer or dust mop to get up any spots on the floor.
- Add a diffuser with essential oils to the counter to freshen things up a bit.
The more often you speed clean your home, the easier it will be to deep clean when the time comes, and the more time you’ll have to spend doing things you really want to do! These tips are perfect for helping you get through the grunge to make your home smell and look amazing!